Wednesday, October 13, 2010

LOVE your neighbor as yourself... even if they are 30 years younger!

Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity. 1 Timothy 4:12 - NLT

Okay, I know I'm not old. (Although sometimes when I break out my pile of coupons while grocery shopping and the teenage girl behind the counter gives me that, "are you serious" look, I feel old!)

But in all seriousness, I'm 26 years, 6 months, and 8 days young. It didn't take the "community BBQ" on Sunday to help me realize this, but it sure did help to remind me! You see, we live in a town home community on a golf course, and you would think that it is a 55+ only neighborhood... unless you saw us pulling into our driveway with our 2 young children, strollers, and diaper bags in tote. We weren't thrilled about going to the BBQ, but we felt obligated since our sweet next door neighbor, Marilyn personally handed us the invitation and expressed how much she would love to see us there (she's the head of the party planning committee how could we turn her down).

So, to the community pool we strolled with Landon in his wagon, with Chandler in her stroller, and with our bags packed as if we were going on vacation, because you just never know what you are going to need when you have a 2 year old and a 6 month old. Landon and Matt were the only two that swam and Chandler and I sat around chattin' in up with the old folk. The hot topics of discussion were grandchildren, pets and pet surgeries, the new air conditioning units half the street had installed this summer, and of course getting deposits in for the big Christmas community party. I have to laugh too, because they finally got to ask why in the world I get 4 Sunday papers delivered. (Coupons, duh!) I give them all credit though, they did try to involve me in their conversations and they were loving them some Landon and Chandler! I'm not sad we went, after all, I think this gave them a chance to get to know us and I certainly feel less judged and more like a part of the neighborhood, but it also opened my eyes to how differently the old treat the young.

Since moving here in February, we have been treated like the neighborhood nuisances and I really do believe it's just because we are young. We have had everything from nasty notes on our trash cans to rude conversations with angry elderly about how "they hope we have started cleaning out our garage so we can park a car in there." (Because it's really causing havoc that we are using one of the 40 empty guest spots.) Funny thing is, it was in our plans but we've been just a little busy the past couple months (moving from a large house to a smaller house, enjoying the flu which caused me to go into early labor and put me on bed rest for 5 weeks, having a baby, taking care of a newborn and a toddler, and the list could really keep going). Matt took vacation a couple weeks ago and was able to get the garage cleaned out and that seems to have kept the neighbors at bay. It only took 8 months, but it finally seems as if we might have earned a little bit of respect around here.

This all got me thinking about how I treat those that are younger then me. Being the wife of a youth pastor, I'm around high school and middle school kids a lot. They're all going through so much in these years. So much drama, so much to live up to, lots of competition, all while trying to figure out who they really are and what they want to do with their lives. It's hard to believe that 10 years ago I was 16 and in their shoes. I was an emotional roller coster. Either I was on cloud nine because things were going my way or my world was ending over a boy, a test, or a mean girl and yet I don't always have empathy for for our teens these days. I often find myself thinking or saying, "oh, you just wait until the real world hits you, just wait until you have bills, and kids, and real responsibility, just wait!" I haven't always been so cold hearted toward the youth, but something has certainly changed about the way I think now that I'm a parent of two and have a household to be responsible for. While my point may be valid in that a lot of what may seem earth shattering to them now really isn't... telling them that may not be exactly what they they need or want to hear. More than ever they need support and encouragement. They need to be loved and feel loved and they need to know that what they are experiencing is normal and helping shape them into the person they are growing up to be. This is something I really need to remember the next time I see a facebook status complaining about relationship troubles, test stress, or girl drama or when a bunch of teenage girls are playing on the playground being silly while Landon is trying to play too. Instead of rolling my eyes and feeling annoyed, it may be a great opportunity for me to play my roll as the youth pastor's wife and reach out to them. I also need to remember how I feel when someone looks down on me or treats me unequally because I am younger, especially when that person only has a couple of years on me (and don't forget the older we get the less being older is cool).

More than anything this is a wake up call for me to allow God to use my past (the good and the bad) to help our youth get through whatever they may be dealing with. While my number one role these days is wife and mommy, it's also good for me to make time for being the youth sponsor I miss being.

Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity. 1 Timothy 4:12 - NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment