Monday, October 4, 2010

A Clean House... is waiting for me in my dreams

I usually feel like there are never enough hours in the day. I'm a stay at home mom (SAHM), so I feel like I should be able to keep up with my house and all that comes with it, but more than ever I feel like I'm drowning in house work! Sometimes I wonder if it's because I have two kids two and under, and sometimes I wonder if it's my own fault for taking too many breaks during the day to put my feet up or check my facebook. I try my hardest to be like the Proverbs 31 wife, but I'm still waiting for my "servant girls!"

I like a clean house. I was raised that there is a place for everything and everything has it's place, but I have had to seriously let that phrase go out the window these days. I feel so blessed to be able to be home with my kids and they are my number one priority. I spend most of the day accommodating needs (changing diapers and clothes, preparing meals, washing faces, filling sippy cups, packing diaper bags, and oh, how the list goes on). After accommodating their needs, I spend the rest of the time spending quality time with them (playing legos, singing silly songs, dancing around with Landon like the nuts that we are, finding something new for Chandler to chew on, going on play dates to the park, gym, or a friends house and like their needs, oh, how this list goes on!) By the time the kids are napping or in bed for the night, I AM WIPED OUT! Plus, most of the time when the kids are napping it gives me a few minutes to myself to sit and eat, to pay the bills, do a devotion, or to read. Also, when they are napping, I like to have the house quiet. For one, I don't want to add to the chances of them waking up before they are completely rested, but mostly because I like quiet and there's not a lot of that in my life these days! Don't get me wrong I usually do a quick clean of the living room as soon as Landon goes down so I can at least focus with out all the toys staring me down, but I don't usually take nap time as a time to get down and dirty with the house chores.

This week though, I am border-line loosing my mind over this house. I just can't take it anymore. There has got to be a way. Moms before me have done it and moms after me will, so I've got to find something that works for me and my family.

Desperate, and in search for a system, a friend recommended a site that had some pretty good stuff. Flylady.net is a motivating website all about reclaiming your house and doing it in baby steps. One of her main focuses is the kitchen sink, and so I got started there. I have done my best to keep ours clean and I have to say it has helped me stay motivated at least to keep the kitchen clean. Every time I look at the kitchen sink and it is sparkling back at me I can't help but try to keep it that way. Another bit of advice she has is getting dressed and putting your shoes on every morning. What this means for me... not living in my PJs! I have to admit, I like my PJs, but I'm going to try it out and see if it helps. I've joined her site and have started what she calls, "Beginner BabySteps." We'll see how this goes!

I am at least making an effort to get this place under control mostly for the sake of myself and that feels good, but I also know that a messy house sometimes comes with the territory of a 2 year old, a 6 month old, and a messy husband (whom I am deeply in love with despite his messy ways).

And so here I am at 10pm and it's off to house work I go. I know I won't get to it all in the next 20 minutes, but I also know what I don't get to will be there waiting for me in the morning. In the mean time, I will pretend that when I wake up, my "servant girls" will be there waiting!!

Happy cleaning!

1 comment:

  1. Girl, you are doing an amazing job at raising your children and by your husband's posts and happiness, you're being a great wife too! Now, to get yourself together for YOU...I think you're on the right track there too. It's so hard to balance so much in life, even without an "outside of the home" job/career. As far as the toys...have Landon help you with everything he and you have played with before he naps and of course several times throughout the day. That way you can concentrate on what you and your hubby mess up during the few mins. you do get to clean....like your room, bathroom, etc. I have had Corbin help me pick up the kitchen, wash and put away clothes (even if they are not perfect-I just go back later and correct them, but for the time being they are put away), and load/unload the dishwasher. It's fun for him (he's a clean freak) and it helps me keep up with some housework. It can become overwhelming though, and even though I stress myself out over it (I like a CLEAN house too), please try not to...for that can take away from your family too. Anyhow, sounds like you are on the right path and are hanging in there! Keep your head up as we both strive to be that Proverbs 31 wife/mother!!

    ReplyDelete