Monday, November 22, 2010

Mondays are for Memories - Shotgun Wedding

This week I'm remembering one of the best weeks of my life! 

On Friday, Matt and I will be celebrating 5 years of wedded bliss and there is quite the story behind our big day. It's so fun for me to share it and to remember it, so this week I'm pretty excited to be blogging about it! 

Matt and I met in our youth group my sophomore year of high school [his freshman year] which puts us back oh, only about 12 years ago. I have to be honest... I wasn't exactly a fan! In fact, I thought he was a stuck up little punk. To be fair, he wasn't entirely into me either. He swears, I was goth [I was absolutely not goth] and I guess you could say I wasn't really his type either. To make a long story short, after we really got to know each other we became best friends. Eventually, that friendship grew into something a lot strong and the summer before my senior year he asked me to be his girlfriend. [Awww right?]

I always knew I'd marry Matt and after almost 4 years of dating he proposed on April 9, 2005 [total shocker too, I didn't see it coming, but that story will have to wait for another blog]. I was to say the very least, SOOOO excited. After I got a manicure, we started planning the big day! 

By the end of the summer we had the entire thing planned. Our destination wedding was set for June 3, 2006 at The King and Prince Resort in St. Simons Island. The time was set for 10:00am and the brunch menu was something to drool over! The reception room [The Solarium] was absolutely gorgeous [so elegant and polished] and the view of the ocean was like the perfect touch to an already stunning room! If you really want to see it all you can check it out here http://www.kingandprince.com/weddings.php. Deposits had been paid, save the dates had been sent out, and the wedding dress had been purchased, little did I know God had planned a very different wedding for us.

It all started in October when Matt's parents decided to sell their house for something smaller. They put their house on the market, sold it with in a few days, and bought something in Lake County. After a lot of thought, we decided that Matt would need to get an apartment closer to his job and to where we wanted to live after we got married and so we started the searching process. We found a winner, put our deposit down, and were set to move Matt in December 9th [how I remember all these dates is besides me, but I do]. This was all still 6 months before the wedding!

We were having a lot of trouble with the whole concept of Matt having an apartment [which would become our apartment] and me wanting to stay there, but with us not being married we knew it was something that couldn't happen. We began tossing around the idea of getting married legally on paper and living together in separate rooms until the wedding, so that the white dress held true to it's meaning. Then we decided we didn't like that idea. We also thought about maybe pushing the wedding up, but we couldn't figure out how that would work with Thanksgiving and Christmas, finals for me and the start of a new school for Matt. Plus, there were no open weekends available at The King and Prince, so that option was out. It was all getting to be a little insane. Can you say bridezilla?

Matt left for a conference in Nashville and on this day 5 years ago while he was gone he called me and said, "Why don't we just get married on Saturday?" Uhhh, what??? I was at a basketball game, could hardly hear him, and did not like the idea since, HELLO we already had our dream wedding planned! I was also a little bit skeptical because I thought maybe this idea came from the guys he was with and I didn't like it! My exact words to him were, "Are you serious?? Who have you been talking to?!" I told him we'd talk about it later on that night, when I picked him and the boys up at the airport and talk we did. Around 3am, we finally decided that we WERE going to get married that Saturday. We didn't know where or any of the details, but we were getting married in less than a week [oh, and one of those days was Thanksgiving].

To say the least, we had a lot to do and only 3 days to do it all! And we did, but you'll have to wait until next Monday to read how it all went down and see all the pictures from our big day!

To be continued!


1 comment:

  1. I loved reading about this. Its funny... Chris and I got married on June 3, 2006. We got married on the beach in Clearwater. We'll be celebrating 5 years in a little less than 6 months! It hardly seems that long ago....

    ReplyDelete