Friday, December 31, 2010

My Response to TLC's Extreme Couponers Special

Two nights ago TLC had an hour special which featured 4 people who are what they called "Extreme Couponers." It followed each of them to the store and interviewed them about how they do it and why they do it. While yes, I do agree that these 4 individuals take the "couponing thing" to an extreme level, and may spend a bit too much time preparing for their shopping, finding all the deals, and stocking their homes full of groceries/toiletries/baby paraphernalia, etc., but I don't think that they are the crazy ones! In my opinion, you'd have to be crazy not to coupon to some extent!

It's not hard or time consuming and you can save hundreds of dollars a month, so why wouldn't you? And it's not "junk" like a lot of people use as an excuse not to coupon! Click here for advice on how to do it!

After watching the show, it put a little spark back into my coupon passion and today I saved some big bucks! Last night I spent about 45 minutes making my list and getting my coupons orginized. This morning, we spent about 30 minutes in the grocery store as a family. We got in, got out, and saved over $200 dollars!!!!!

Here is a picture of our purchase today...


Just incase you can't see it all, here are just a few of the items in the picture...
3 (yes I said 3!!) large boxes of diapers... retail value (RV) is $59.97 - (Out of pocket price (OPP) was $34.97)
12 bottles (32oz) of Similac Sensitive formula & one large powered formula...  RV is $89.63 (OPP was 0.00)
2 tubs and 3 packs of wipe refills... RV is $12.97 (OPP was 0.00)
28 jars of organic baby food...  RV is $27.72 (OPP was $9.87)
4 bottles of Coke... RV is $7.48 (OPP was $3.74)
1 tub of protein powder RV is $12.99 (OPP was $7.79)

I won't continue listing every product, but as you can see, we saved A LOT today!!! We did spend about $130 but we also buy organic meats, milk, eggs, and produce all of which we bought in today's purchase (I totally forgot to put the milk in the picture).

Since Chandler was born (around the time I was introduced to the coupon world), I have not paid for any wipes what so ever and I never will again! As far as formula goes, I nursed her up until last month when I hurt my back so we've been fortunate enough to not have to purchase formula. However, since she has been on it, we have paid for absolutely no formula and won't be paying for it the next 3 months either (then she'll be on milk woohoo!).

Coupon-ing is not hard and in this economy everyone is always looking to save here and there! And I'm here to tell you, "YOU CAN DO THIS!" If you have kids there are so many ways for you to save! I wish I had known about all the savings the first 2 years of Landon's life! Looking back now I feel like I flushed thousands down the drain!

Check out my Adventures in Coupon-ing tab to get started and please feel free to contact me with questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment