Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Voices in Our Heads & The Tugs on Our Hearts...

So I've been on this reading kick lately. I have always loved to read, but seriously, I am blowing through books these days. I enjoy reading all kinds of books... fiction, non fiction, devotions, some by christian authors, some not, I just really enjoy curling up with a good book!

This week, I've decided to get a spread sheet of "books I've completed" started and I'm pretty excited about it. Having this will help me keep track of the books/authors I've enjoyed (or haven't) and will also help when someone asks for a recommendation. (I have this forgetful side and book titles falls hard into this side of me.)

After I finished the Hunger Games Trilogy, (Yes, I read them. Yes, I enjoyed them. And yes, my excuse is that I read them because my husband is a youth pastor. I have to stay relevant, okay?) I was looking for something else to start. I checked out the New York Times Best Sellers List and was kind of intrigued by the 50 Shades books. I researched a little, to see what they were about, and discovered that the books are a bit racy. I talked with a few people who had read them and seriously started seeing the books everywhere, so I had sort of made my mind up that I would read them too... I mean, after all, I have to stay relevant right? I'm not writing this blog to knock the books or anyone who has read or will read them, but I will say after much consideration that I have decided not to read them. It's funny too, because the night I was going to download it I had dinner with a couple of other pastor's wives (we have to stick together you know). We were talking book titles and a few stood out to me. I felt a tug on my heart to choose one of those instead and so I did... and out of that one small decision comes this blog post!

With all that said, since then I have read a couple of other books and feel even more convicted that I should not read the 50 shades books. The two books I am so glad that I choose (which came recommended by one of the other pastor's wives) were And the Shofar Blew and The Scarlet Thread. I can not even begin to tell you how blessed I feel to have picked those books over what I feel I may have gotten into with the other choice. Both of these books are by Francine Rivers (most known by her novel Redeeming Love, which I also recommend). These are both christian novels which contain prayers and scripture while focusing on fiction characters going through all of the same struggles many christian families today face. The books are tastefully written and refreshingly not corn ball!

After reflecting on it, I completely feel like the Holy Spirit was what was tugging on my heart to make the choices to read these two novels instead of the others I know I was being tempted to read. There are other obvious things I am doing in my life to try to be a better wife, mother, friend and all around me, but I feel like these books were the perfect escape at the end of the day yet also sent some pretty strong convictions right into my soul.

One being to love and respect my husband with every part of my being. I won't go on too much of a rant here but I feel as though this generation is missing out big time on this. It's so easy especially for stay at home moms or even working moms for that matter to begin to resent their husband and slip into a daily pity party. Love is a choice and as for me and my heart & mind I will choose to love my husband every chance that I get for as long as I get to.

The other message I felt so strongly from both of these books is that time goes by and kids grow up. Petty things don't matter, but the hearts of our children do and playing with them now while they still want us too is so important. I don't want to wake up and wish I had these moments back with them. I attended a high school graduation today and was teary eyed already thinking of my babies walking across the stage to receive a diploma and while that seems almost ridiculous, time goes by and I want the time I spend with my children to forever impact the choices they make and the people they are.

I guess I say all of this to prompt you to feel the little tug on your heart and to hear the little voice in your head because it's more than just a tug or a voice, it's God speaking to you and you have no idea what he may have in store for you and your family if you listen.


Yes, I know that the title of this post is really corny and I use a lot of "churchy talk" in this particular post, but I genuinely mean what I write and I hope that I never turn anyone away from Jesus by the things I write, say or do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment